Saturday, February 16, 2008

To Quit or not to Quit?

My name is Aysha, and I’m a coffee-holic.

When I first arrived in the States I couldn’t understand what it was with Americans and cutting down on caffeine. It seemed wherever I went, somebody looked guiltily at their cup and initiated a group confession.

Two years, two months, a master's, and a toddler later, I am experiencing some “withdrawal symptoms”; irritability, headache, sleepiness, and depression whenever I am late to get my morning fix. However, what really pulled me by the collar is that I started craving coffee at night too.

I realized with some horror that this habit I’ve gotten into because it soothed my body, broke up the tension of my schedule, gave me something to wake up for in the morning (besides a toddler’s poop diaper, wet bed, and naggings,) might become yet another cause for tension.

Do addictions ever settle for a deal, or are they all naturally driven to demand more and more out of us?

As much as I am a habit-breaker type o’ gal, I’ve always thought it necessary to keep an innocent addiction on the side. Humans are natural addicts. They have the addiction software installed in them, and it is better to keep it busy with something mild than fall without realizing it for something that would interfere with personal safety or that of others. Now, the theory does not sound as reassuring as it once did...

“There are more coffee drug addicts in the US than drug addicts of any other kind.” Claims Charles F. Withal. And baby, today I have become yet another one to look shamefully at my cup wondering: To quit or not to quit?

p.s,
Check out:
Freedomyou. I absolutely love how they mention how caffeine is given easy religious access, whereas a glass of wine is highly scrutinized.

6 comments:

Abo hashem said...

hi ,,,
i dont think the caffeine it self is a problem ,,
even getting into it so far ,, has been controversial in medicine ,,

thanks for your post ,,

Saudi Stepford Wife-Daisy said...

I tried too, oh God how I tried to give it up. It took until child #2 to become ingrained into my physiology permanently. Before that I could give it up. Oh wait... was only in my early 20's then so I still had some decaffeinated energy already in me. With no natural energy reserves left, now at age 31 and 3 kids (still working on the Masters) and no maid, I NEED COFFEE/tea/caffeine patch.
Just a suggestion, don't EVER try to quit during the school year. Wait until a long break. During my last pregnancy I only allowed myself a very weak cup of tea per day and tried to cut it out by making the tea weaker and weaker every day....didn't work.

GE&B said...

Socially, coffee has become the hearth that we've gather around. Be it Arab or American culture a "cup" of coffee is so much more.

I have come to hate those who don't drink coffee, they have such a snobbish air to them.

Drink up if you enjoy it, recent studies have shown a lot of advantages.

Moderation, as with everything, is key.

Aysha said...

abo hashem,
Am I glad to hear it from a credible source! :D

Daisy,
Well, I only tried "verbally" so far, and already its causing not so fond upset! You are brave to have three :( And to keep up the masters. You sound like the most realistic definition of a hero.

ge&b,
What a wonderful way to explain coffee. Truly. You take after my heart...

I am just soo glad that everybody is pushing me in the direction of my heart. Not a usualy thing in life, ya know. hehe :D :D

Aafke said...

I'd say: enjoy your cup of coffee.

''Coffee is something that makes you fall asleep if you don't use it!''

Cofee is slightly addictive, but it isn't bad for you, so why not? I don't like coffee at all, which dutch people don't understand: my best friends still ask me if I'd like some coffee!

I'm a chocoholic, but I can quit whenever I want! :)

Aysha said...

aafke,
I meet you half way, since my favorite drink is mocha!
I am so glad I posted this question, because whatever doubt I had is gone...
Viva la coffee :D