Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Why Celebrate in Advance?

Why on earth have people been congratulating each other on the month of Ramadan two weeks in advance?

With every passing year, people seem to be celebrating holidays a day earlier, sending off e-cards, text messages, and group emails to wish others merry hand happy times.

Could this hurriedness to publicly congratulate be revealing a personal defense? An attempt by the individual to prove a social loyalty that he/she feels is shaky and uncertain at heart? Or have the seasons lost their automatic quality of joy, leaving people no choice but to manually pump it up, needing extra days with every passing year?

*P.S, Away from Saudi Arabia, Ramadan does not seem to be a couple of days away, but rather, a couple of continents, a distance that is measured by miles rather than days, and bridged only by physical travel.

7 comments:

Yasser said...

I was just thinking of the same thing! I have received plenty of sms congratulating me on the month of Ramadan too early. I never replied anyway!

I like your interpretation of this social behavior; what I don't understand yet is why they use the same texting messages of each other taking much care of poetic sounds and imaginative emotions.

Sam said...

I've been asking myself that over the years, and loyalty has always been a likely answer. Nowadays everyone trying to outdo one another with the most lyrical, if not decorative messages.

Ramadan Mubarak.

Cairogal said...

Ramadan Kareem! It's Thursday somewhere right now!

Anonymous said...

Why you always try to put a philosophical spin on everything, why don’t you just enjoy the month…..Ramadan Kareem…..

Aysha said...

yasser & sam,
The lyric part irritates me as well. I wonder if it indicates a weakness in the language. I mean, if a person had a lacking in his/her taste for chocolates or perfume, they might try to focus on other aspects, such as wrapping color, decoration, and bottle design. If one has a good taste for language, and how essential it is as an entity/power in itself, he/she will immediately recongize the lackings of such text messages.

cairogal,
Now that it is here, Ramadan Mubarak to you too ;)

Anonymous,
I am glad the post is relevant to the blog theme. It IS all about philosophising and spinning. Ramadan Kareem to you too :)

insomniac said...

I don't want to go off-topic here, but do we actually "celebrate" back in Saudi Arabia?

Aysha said...

Insonmiac! You vicious, vicious one. hehehe...