Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Where is Home?

IF you were to loose your wallet right before the weekend, what plans can you possibly have in mind? And for the entire week before you replace everything you lost, what can you do?

Last Friday I lost my wallet at a party. And while my mind worked out a search plan, list of what is in it, and the cards I should start blocking, my very own being felt blocked from everything around it. Simply said, I no longer belonged to the life I was in. There were major restrictions as to how I moved within it.

I had no credit cards, debit cards, school ID, state ID, scholarship ID, buss pass, contact cards, and so remained in the safe little passenger seat as my husband drove home, buying dinner on the way.

Turning the key in our appartment's door, I was left to wonder:
Which is "home"? What we have, or the key that grant us access to it?

*p.s,,
Thank you GOOGLE for revealing my e-mail address to the savior who found my wallet!

6 comments:

أبو سنان said...

You are lucky. I have not lost my wallet since I was a teenager.

It would not be fun. I guess I am lucky in the fact that we do not use credit cards, only a debit card and cash.

For me it would be my driver's license, debit card, and personal cards and whatever cash I have in it and that is it.

I keep my really important stuff like Society Security card, work ID(I need this to swipe into work, without it no work) passport and the like at home.

Dont worry, in about 10 years we wont need anything, a quick retinal scan will be all you need. No need for IDs or credit card, your unique physical details will be all you need.

Aysha said...

If it were up to me, I would carry my entire house (wardrobe, passports, cosmetics, books, receits, etc) in my bag! There are those things that we realize about ourself but are unable to change, and this "carry everything with you" is one. Thank goodness I've had a family that has saved me thus far from carrying everything in such a voulnerable spot. From time to time, my mom, husband, or a friend, would get the hint that I won't empty my bag on my own, and so they'd start sorting it for me.
I do hope that the future turns out as you suspect. At least so we would carry our worth/value within us!

*Can you seriously survive in the US, as a head of a family, without credit cards?! :|

Yasser said...

I don't carry any wallet! Actually I used to but not anymore!

I distribute my cards and stuffs among my pockets. So if I lost something it won't be everything..

However, I had to get back home many times in order to bring something I have missed!

Aysha said...

I am trying that out these days, carrying only a few cards and the cellphone. However, like you said, there are risks to this. Misplacing important items and then being unable to find where they last were...

aaaah, life was easy when one only needed to be carried around ^_^

Abu Daoud said...

Home is where one starts from. As we grow older
The world becomes stranger, the pattern more complicated
Of dead and living. Not the intense moment
Isolated, with no before and after,
But a lifetime burning in every moment
And not the lifetime of of one man only
But of old stones that cannot be deciphered.

TS Eliot
East Coker, Four Quartets.

Yes, it is true. Since you ask about home: As we grow older the world becomes stranger. How we are attached to things like cards with pictures and numbers, and deatched from things like our couch and door knob and bed and favorite pillow...

"As we grow older, the world becomes stranger..."

Aysha said...

Abu daoud,
Interesting prospective. Tying it to this: http://ayshak.blogspot.com/2007/06/fearless-fearfull-a-z-of-our-life.html
I would say, the older we got, the less there is of "us" living in "us". We host more and more strangers through which we view the world.